“Bettman has only a marginal interest in the weaker teams. He only wants the NHL to make a bigger profit as a whole.” -- Dominik Hasek

July 8, 2007

Eight Things You Couldn't Care Less About

I have to be totally honest with you, I hate blog memes. Can't stand them.

I don't hate Teebz over at Hockey Blog In Canada, however, and since he's a friend of DLS and a fellow follower of athletics aesthetics, I will always give him the benefit of the doubt, to a fault. Unfortunately, he has "tagged" me to participate in one such insidious blog meme. Because he is not a terrible person, I have no choice but to play along---though with regret and against my better judgment.

So, first of all, the rules of this horrible meme, courtesy of Teebz:

1. All right, here are the rules.
2. We have to post these rules before we give you the facts.
3. Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
4. People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
5. At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.

Click below for my eight random personal facts and/or habits.


1. I would never buy an authentic NHL jersey to wear because I am not an authentic NHL player. Besides, they're expensive. The only authentic jerseys I would ever buy would have to have been game-worn, because then they'd truly be authentic. But those are even more expensive, so I don't buy those either. I only own two jerseys, both replicas, and both were on sale. That's how I roll.

2. I would never wear an NHL jersey with a player's name on it. I don't believe any grown man should ever wear another grown man's name on his back. Be your own person. If I could afford actual game-worn jerseys with players' names on the back, I would frame them, not wear them. Anyway, players come and go from teams so often these days---how many Avs fans now wish they had "Smyth" on the back of their jersey instead of "Skoula"?

3. I am aware that other people have perfectly valid opinions different than my own.

4. I have taken two different long-term girlfriends to NHL games (at different times, of course). They both seemed bored and one of them eventually broke up with me. The other is still around, but I'm sure she's mad at me for something. Probably the hockey game I made her go to.

5. I obviously love hockey, but I think baseball is the greatest, most perfect sport ever invented. It is beautifully complex and yet sublime. I never pass up the opportunity to see a baseball game for free and make it a point to see at least one MLB game a year---not bad considering I don't live in a city with an MLB team.

6. I don't have a favorite baseball team, though I do follow (and sympathize with) the Cubs because my best friend is a rabid fan of that historically bad Chicago team.

7. As far as media coverage of sports goes, I think most newspaper and TV reporters are completely full of sh-t and take themselves far too seriously. I also think that most bloggers are even worse.

8. Finally, I hereby resolve to never again participate in a blog meme. Ever. I will not "tag" anyone else in the hope that this meme will die here, with me. I still love Teebz, though. No hard feelings.

You know, when I think about it, I'm not sure which is worse---people who willingly engage in the propagation of blog memes or those who self-righteously complain about it and then do it anyway. Probably the latter is worse. I suck.

6 comments:

The Dark Ranger said...

Awwww, Gross!!!!!!
Can I have some?

Classic blogging DLS! Off to Paris.

tdr

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm from Portugal and I don't really understand that replica/authentic jersey thing. Here in Europe, regarding football (soccer) clubs, the most famous sport, there's only one type of team jersey for sale and I think they're pretty much like the ones player use and you could get one for under 90 dollars. What are the differences between what you call replica and authentic, really?

Thanks, keep up the good blogging

An Avs fan in Portugal :D

Dear Lord Stanley said...

An Avs fan in Portugal! Cool.

The differences are many between replica jerseys and authentic jerseys. The material is different, the stitching of the numbers and logo are different and the authentic jerseys include fight straps. Authentic jerseys are stronger and more durable, but also more comfortable. It makes sense, since they're supposed to be worn during a hockey game.

But authentic jerseys can run between $140-200, easily, while replicas rarely cost more than $90.

Teebz said...

DLS, that's awesome. I was totally laughing at your new-found hatred of me. :o)

Thanks for playing, and it's nice to know a little about you. And it's nice to know that there's no hard feelings. Believe me, I had a hard time trying to justify writing my own.

As for the Portugal reader, I plan on doing a long blog in the next few weeks about the differences between replica and authentic jerseys. I did something similar for the Uni Watch blog, so I'll keep you all posted.

Draft Dodger said...

nicely done.

for me, one of the best things about hockey is that my wife is a fan as well.

I also agree that baseball is pretty much a perfect sport. I still prefer hockey and even football to baseball by a wide margin, but baseball really is a sublimely elegant game.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the explanations.

Avs fan from Portugal

Post Archive

Topic Guide

 
template by free-web-template.blogspot.com